Currently the PUMAS collection contains 88 examples.
The PUMAS examples are aimed primarily at helping pre-college teachers enrich their presentation of topics in math and science.
- You may find a number of examples that relate to your area of interest, perhaps written in different styles, and possibly taking different approaches to the material. There may also be comments/lesson plans filed with some of the examples, written by previous users.
- Use these examples as a resource -- Select, adapt, recontextualize, and present the material to your students in a way that you judge will best meet your students' needs, abilities, and interests.
- You may have ideas related to a particular example that might be helpful to subsequent users. There is an opportunity, on the "Display an Example" page associated with that example, for you to submit your comments/lesson plans.
- PUMAS examples are citable references. If you use material from PUMAS examples in other work, please cite them appropriately, e.g.: Chambers, L.H., "How Now, Pythagoras?", 07_10_98_1, The PUMAS Collection, http://pumas.nasa.gov, 1998.
Sort by Field
This is a good way to start, or to find examples added after a certain date. Click links below to get the list of all the PUMAS Examples, arranged by that field.
Examples by Common Keywords
by Title | by Grade Level | by Date Accepted | by Benchmarks | by Author
angle of incidence
Nature of science
Right Hand Rule
solid earth tides
systems of equations
Urban Heat Island
- Automatic Windshield Wipers
(conduction, conductivity, electricity, water, ion, wire, battery, motor)
- Color and Spectrum
(Light, Color, Spectrum, Spectral Analysis, Blackbody)
- Could a World of Swimmers Raise Sea Level?
(Sea level rise, Floating, Swimming, Oceans, Flooding)
- Dream Job
(Geometric progression, Counter-intuitive result, Counting, Exponents, Estimates)
- Geometric Addition + Logarithms = Geometric Multiplication
(Multiplication, Computation, Exponents, Logarithms, Number Line, Geometric Calculation)
- How Many Days Are in a Year?
(Leap year, Year, Calendar, Error analysis, Successive approximations, Fractions)
- Ice Sheets and Sea Level Rise
(Ice sheets, Sea level rise)
- Learning to Think Globally
(Thinking globally, Estimating, Significant Figures)
- Logarithms: Taking the Curve Out
(Logarithms, Mean Value, Statistics, Non-linear)
- Making Months
(365, Gregorian calendar, Month, Days, Year, Week, Factor, Prime, Design tradeoff)
- Modulus in Real Life
(Modulus, Remainder, Range, Domain, Clock, Pattern, Repetition, Periodic)
- Scavenger Hunt: Simulating Natural Selection
(Natural Selection, Evolution, Adaptation, Mutation)
- Seeing Interference Fringes
(Laser, Interference pattern, Fringes, Wave nature of light)
- Seeing Interference Fringes with a Telescope
(Interferometer, Interference fringes, Telescope)
- Spoon Mirror
(Observing, Mirror, Spoon, Lighthouse, Spotlight, Searchlight, Telescope)
- Teaching Atomic Structure Using Cooperative Learning
(Cooperative learning, Atomic structure, Atomic number, Protons, Neutrons, Mass number, Isotopes)
- Teaching Radicals in Less than Five Minutes
- The Rubber Band Problem
(Force, Inertia, Friction)
- Two Answers are Better than One
(Estimating, Back-of-the-envelope calculation, Significant figures, Checking your work)